Ninety-eight Model 706 buses were added to the fleet between 1936 and 1939. These buses (opposite) have the general appearance of the Model 614 buses of 1931, but can be separated from the earlier model by their sloping back, lack of the simulated leather around the top rear of the body, the split windshield without an exterior sun visor, a chrome radiator grill separate from the radiator, and the large teardrop rear fenders.
The Model 706 body, with styling by Alexi de Sakhnoffsky, is in art deco style. The long bold horizontal black stripe running the length of the body and the black oversized teardrop rear fenders are in contrast to the yellow body and chrome radiator shell, bumpers, and door handles.
The six-cylinder engines were the latest from White and featured 318 cubic inches. The engine underwent some modification after 1936 but remained essentially similar through 1939.
Each of the four seats has a grab handle and a roof bow support bar for passengers to hold as they stand to view scenery through the open top. Behind the fourth seat, yet separate from the luggage area, are two compartments where the driver could keep tools, personal belongings, and blankets.
White Motor Company - Model 706, Custom Touring Coach by Bender Body
Engine: 36hp Flathead 6-cylinder White 16A engines
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Steering: Manual, Cam & Lever
Brakes: Four-wheel Lockheed hydraulic brakes with vacuum assist
The Art Deco design was handcrafted by Bender Body Company in Cleveland, Ohio. The body was constructed of hard wood uprights and door frames, covered with sheet aluminum. The upper body was constructed of steel with 3 steel roof bows and a wooden roof bow that supported a retractable canvas roof.