Our garage is located in the Red Lodge Commercial Historic District at 124 N Broadway Avenue. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as it contributes to the commercial history of the town. An old building with a great history.....
In 1905, J. A. Rose built a one-story blacksmith and wheelwright shop on this corner, the corner of 9th Street and Broadway Avenue, establishing a long tradition of transportation-related businesses on the lot. Rose made and repaired wagon wheels, horse tack, and iron carriage parts. As automobiles supplanted horse-drawn transport, Nels Rogness established a Studebaker sales and service station here in 1917. In 1925, brothers A. B. and Archie Whitcomb purchased the building and continued operating it as a service station, tire, and blacksmith shop. Archie, with sons Byron and Arnold, bought out A. B. in 1928. In 1936, completion of the Beartooth Scenic Highway through Red Lodge secured the town's future as a tourist stop. That year, the Whitcombs demolished the original building, purchased the vacant lot next door, and built a Streamline Moderne style service station and auto dealership. They started selling Pontiacs in 1937 and Willys Jeeps in 1947. The Whitcombs expanded into the building next door in 1948 and remained in business until 1976. Ray Judd Ford purchased the business, continuing the operation until 2018 at which time the Buses of Yellowstone Preservation Trust purchased the garage. It is the site of one of the longest continuously operating service stations in Montana.
The original building located on the corner of 9th Street and Broadway Avenue in Red Lodge, Montana.
The new garage built in 1936.
The garage plus the adjacent building expanded into in 1948. Note the garage door in the front of the original building was removed and replaced with a door and window.
The garage in 1966. Note the addition of a steel canopy at the front of the building.
The garage in 1967 with signage reflecting a change from Mobil to Texaco. It has been said that the Whitcombs had the oldest Mobil dealership on record in the State of Montana prior to changing to Texaco.
The garage today.